What makes something simple is not necessarily our understanding of it but rather our ability to recognize it. For simple does not always translate to easy. 😀
Welcome back to Health and Wellness Fridays! I trust that you have conquered your week and that today was like the icing on the cake whereby things just got better. 🙂
Please accept my apologies for not posting last week. Today, we’re going to be looking at sugar.
“Sugar” is that special ingredient added to many of our beverages and baked goods that just makes them taste better or rather should I say sweeter. 🙂 Unfortunately, sugar has attained a negative reputation over the years as more and more knowledge about the side effects of overindulging in its consumption come to the forefront.
However, not all sugar is bad for us and this is where the acquisition and understanding of information is so important.
Did you know?
There are two main classifications of sugars: added or refined sugars and natural sugars.
Added or refined sugars include: refined white sugar (sucrose), brown sugar, honey and syrups that are added to food. These added sugars are called simple carbohydrates and they provide little nutritional value and can cause spikes in blood glucose levels. This is the sugar that most people advise that we reduce consumption of or abstain from.
Natural sugars on the other hand, are sugars that occur naturally in fruits and milk. These sugars are called complex carbohydrates and they provide nutrition and help regulate blood sugar.
So you see, not all sugars are bad for us but we need to know what to look out for.
Types of Sugars
Although sugar can be classified into two main groups, it can be further broken down into three categories: white sugars, brown sugars and liquid sugar. Within each of these categories are even more sugars, some of which I only learned about during the course of my research to be honest. Let’s take a closer look.
Some white sugars include:
- Bakers Special Sugar
- Castor/Caster Sugar
- Confectioners or Powdered Sugar
- Coarse Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Sanding Sugar
- Superfine, Ultra Fine, or Bar Sugar
Some brown sugars include:
- Brown sugar (light and dark)
- Demerara Sugar
- Muscovado or Barbados Sugar
- Turbinado Sugar
Liquid sugar or (sucrose) is basically white granulated sugar that is dissolved in water before it is used.
Invert Sugar – is the sugar we get from splitting sucrose into its two component sugars (glucose and fructose). Fructose is sweeter than either glucose or sucrose. Invert sugar is therefore sweeter than white sugar.
Some benefits or the ‘sweet side’ of sugar as it relates to the body include:
- Energy booster – glucose is the body’s primary source of fuel, and it comes from the breakdown of sugar.
- Help us store energy – After glucose is converted into energy for immediate use, the body will store some of the glucose as an energy reserve for later.
- Instantly improve our mood – sugar activates the pleasure center of our brain and causes a rush of dopamine. This will produce an immediate, euphoric feeling.
- Natural Sugar Sources Come With Added Nutrients – dairy products, fruits and veggies all provide natural sugars in addition to fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and hydration. You can indulge in all the natural sweets you want without creating unhealthy insulin spikes.
- Skin health – Sugar’s glycolic acid can be very helpful in maintaining the health and look of your skin. Using it can help elimination blemishes and restoring the balance in the skin’s oils.
Some of the negatives or the ‘bitter side’ of indulging in too much refined sugars include:
- Weight gain that could lead to obesity.
- Spike of blood sugar that can lead to diabetes.
- Leave you feeling overly energized or hyperactive
- Increase cholesterol levels that can ultimately lead to heart disease.
- Create insulin resistance
- Create a resistance to the hormone called Leptin
- Cause dental cavities
After reading the above my hope is that you’ve gained a better understanding and appreciation for the bitter-sweet of sugar. Refined sugars bring that quick fix we’re sometimes looking or craving for but too much of it can be harmful. Natural sugars are healthier for us that’s a fact but they aren’t ideal for every situation or occasion. This is where using our moderation and discretion comes in.
So dear friends, weigh the pros and cons of what you’re eating and strive to improve the areas of your eating habits that can be harmful to your health.
In life there are a few things we just have no control over but we do have some control over how sweet we want our lives to be.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend.
Here is my list of Top 30 Life Lessons coupled with some Words of Wisdom that I’ve acquired along the way.
1. Trust your instincts.
2. Don’t believe everything you read or hear.
3. Be proactive rather than reactive.
4. Forgiveness is the start towards living a happier more productive life.
5. Procrastination is a proven method for going nowhere. Keep doing it long enough and you may even forget where you were headed.
6. Relationships may come and go but we should never lose ourselves in the process.
7. Being healthy is not necessarily being a perfect size but rather the lifestyle choices we make to live better.
8. Being happy starts with us. We have more power and control over our own happiness than we think. Starting with the negative people in our lives.
9. Our past experiences have helped to shape who we are today but they don’t define who we are.
10. “Family” is more than just blood relative. It is a ‘call to action’ that few non-relatives would have gained the right to be called.
11. Not all parents are parents and not all parents can parent. In some instances, their roles were simply to get us here.
12. Self-love is called self-love for reason, it must come from within. No amount of feedback from those around you could make you feel for yourself what you don’t believe about yourself.
13. We believe what we hear, so we need to be mindful of the information we feed and allow to be fed to us.
14. “Mistakes” are really lessons in disguise. So open your eyes and take from them the lessons being communicated to you.
15. The true beauty of something is not always found on the surface. Sometimes we just have to dig deeper. If you trust only your eyes to find beauty in life, there may be many beautiful people who you miss the opportunity to meet and know.
16. Love can be expressed through words and actions that bring joy and a smile to your life and heart. Love never physically, emotionally or intentionally hurts you.
17. Being silent and not communicating when we’re hurting inside emotionally doesn’t help ease the pain we feel. If anything, it temporarily masks it.
18. Life can be complicated at times but it can also be really simple. It’s all about the lens from which we choose to view it from.
19. Prayer coupled with faith and belief is the most powerful, inexpensive weapon you can own.
20. We’re all imperfect creatures and that is what makes each of us special. As a result, the only real expectation we need to live up to is our own no one else’s.
21. The success or failure of a relationship lies in the willingness of both parties to work through the issues to move forward.
22. Music is more than a cool way to pass the time. It is a great stress reliever and can help improve your mood.
23. Children are the future and if we want a brighter future we need to be mindful of the influence our behaviour and words have on their lives.
24. The earth is our home and if we don’t take better care of it how can we expect it to take care of us.
25. The cloud that seems to be hovering over your life is a passing cloud. The sun will come out and you will see your way again. It happened for me and it can happen for you. 🙂
26. Laugh as much as you can. Don’t take everything so serious all of the time.
27. We can’t control everything but we can control some things. Do what you can, where you can as best as you can.
28. It’s not what we say but how we say it so think before you speak.
29. One of the most precious gifts we have in this life is time, use it wisely.
30. Lastly, we don’t have to be great at everything.
Feel free to add a life lesson below in comments. Thank you for stopping by.
Have a wonderful night.
It’s time and you know it!
You know the feeling but you can’t quite explain it
That feeling you get when you’ve reached your limit
That feeling that empowers you
But you let your second thoughts crowd out what you should do
Don’t look at me like that, you know I’m talking to YOU 🙂
It’s time so NO more delaying
We’ve been going round and round doing the same things
Then wondering why we can’t see any change
Constantly turning the same pages in our lives over and over
Haven’t you noticed we’re getting older?
It’s time to make our move
We’re done procrastinating about what we’re going to do
It’s time to get ACTIVE and be PROACTIVE
In the things that we want and need to do
We have to stand up and start truly walking in our own shoes
We don’t have time to sit singing the blues
It’s time so you choose
Standing still we have so much to lose
So make this promise to yourself
No more sitting idly by on the shelf
If you don’t start now you’ll never forgive yourself.
If not now, then when?
Who knows how or when it will all end?
To pursue your dream – you don’t have to be a king or queen
Besides, only in trying would you have seen
How possibly different your life could have been.
Think about it, maybe it’s time!
Tired of all the ‘would have’ and ‘could have’ thoughts. The reality is, in life there comes a time when we just have to stop making excuses for ourselves and others and just meaningfully go after what we claim to want and desire.
Anything worth getting requires effort and hard work.
Thank you for stopping by. Make today a great one. 🙂
I write for me
To transfer my thoughts and ideas
That sometimes keep me up at night
Tossing and turning, no sleep in sight
No sign of release until I can see those thoughts outside of me
Now so clear, there was no need to despair or fear
Because now I’m free from YOU and from ME
Writing allows me to be me.
I write for you
For truly I can’t be the only person going through life thinking “What else can I do, to not feel so sad and blue.”
For there must be another way, a better way to get through the troubles and trials of the day.
You my dear friend are not alone, stop going through life-like some kind of drone
Pick up your pen and do some writing of your own
You’ll be surprised just how much you’ve truly grown.
I write because it soothes my soul
It does not discriminate whether I’m young or old
When I write, I get a sense of purpose
That tells me doing this is now a MUST
Because my writings aren’t just me
For it crosses boarders beyond the sea
To reach other persons searching, wanting, dreaming and hoping just like me
I write out of love and passion
Some of it is even spirit-driven
I write because I have something to say
And even if you may not always like it, that’s okay!
I understand we all have something to say
So I won’t get discouraged
I’ll keep writing anyway. 🙂
Have a wonderful day everyone! Guard your joy and happiness like treasure in a vault. Don’t let anyone steal your joy. 🙂 Thank you for stopping by.
Welcome back to Music Reflection Mondays! Today I want to try something a little different for this segment – a story enhanced by the titles of Christmas songs. Hope you enjoy.
Once there was a little boy who said to his village one Christmas Eve, “O Come All Ye Faithful” but they didn’t listen and instead responded to him saying, “Go Away, Little Drummer Boy all we want is a Silent Night“.
This broke his heart because all he wanted to do was Deck the Halls and sing O Holy Night. One of the villager’s (the richest man in the village) Mr. Smith approached him and explained that after Last Christmas and the Jingle Bells episode that everyone was a little discouraged. He hung his head filled with shame and guilt because he knew that was all his fault and now Christmas time is just too painful a memory for them.
Last Christmas the little boy had accidentally broke the bell on the church tower during the Christmas celebrations which almost killed two people. That was a special bell that they saved up to purchase and now it was ruined. They never looked at him the same after that day and just the thought of Christmas was a painful reminder for them.
Mr. Smith and the little boy came up with a plan to bring the Christmas spirit back to their land. They decorated the old barn and even gathered a few members from the church choir to form a band. They went all over the village singing The Christmas Song, Mary’s Boy Child and Santa Claus is Coming to Town like never before and everyone came from far and wide. This made the little boy and Mr. Smith very happy.
At the end of the show everyone was clapping and hugging each other filled with joy once more. A feeling they thought they would never explore again. This event it seemed was just what the village needed to remember what made the month of December one to remember.
Later that night before they all turned in for the night they sang to the little boy and the villager “We Wish You Merry Christmas“. The little boy quietly made his Christmas wish, please Let it Snow, Let it snow as he wiped his tears of joy off his cheek. Sure enough, Christmas morning they were all greeted with the sight of snow through their windows.
The little boy was jumping up and down on his bed because he was so happy to see that it was really snowing. Just when he thought his Christmas could not get any better. Mr. Smith went around with his horse and carriage presenting each home with a mini bell that had been dipped in gold and had special drawings on them. The little boy got dressed as quickly as he could and asked Mr. Smith if he could help him and of course Mr. Smith accepted.
This was a beautiful surprise and a wonderful gift. That was truly a Christmas to remember.
Hope you enjoyed. Have a wonderful day. 🙂
Be happy, get happy
Right now in this moment,
Right where you are
I dare you!
Near or far shine bright
Like the star that you ARE!!!
Be happy, get happy
Because it may be your last chance
When you walk out that door
You don’t know how your day will go
Those who love you, may never know
Be happy, get happy
Laugh, love, explore, feel the warmth of the earth at your core
Understand, appreciate, be grateful and don’t deviate
Are you really still sitting there thinking twice?
After all this is your life
Get up! Be happy, get happy
Sure life is not perfect, that does not mean we’re not worth it
It’s the imperfection of life that drives us to want MORE for ourselves and others
It’s the imperfection that keeps us exploring, inventing, dreaming and pursuing bigger
and brighter things.
Some questions we may be fortunate to answer
Others we may need to leave for another
Don’t sweat the small the stuff
Life is just too short to be spent in constant worry
Be happy, get happy.
Make a conscious effort to make each day a great one. We may not have control over every aspect of our lives but we DO have control over MOST of it. So make the MOST out of what you have! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by.