Have you ever noticed that as adults some of us don’t laugh as much as we used to when compared to our younger selves? Why is that? Some blame “the pressures of life” for taking the wind out of their sails. Then there are those who believe it’s because “we take life too seriously“. What do you believe?
I recognize that as adults we have commitments, responsibilities, jobs, families and all sorts of other things that we have to deal with on a daily basis. However, laughter is not the enemy. In fact, as adults I believe we need to laugh even more than we did as kids because of all the added responsibilities we now have.
This brings me to my observations about being an adult thus far:
- We are often frowned upon when we try to enjoy the little things in life and may have our actions labelled as childish sometimes;
- We are not allowed to make mistakes as this is a privilege only afforded to children;
- We are sometimes criticized when we try to ‘lighten up’ because for some this would mean that we don’t take life seriously;
- Laughter it seems is a delicacy only for the young and carefree among us;
- The people looking on at us and passing judgement need to laugh more than we do.
Can you remember the last time you laughed so hard you fell off a chair? What about the time you laughed so hard you almost wet your pants? Do you remember the time you laughed so hard you cried from laughing so much? It brings a smile to my face just remembering those moments hopefully it did the same thing for you.
Benefits of laughter:
- Laughter is healthy.
- Laughter is a stress reliever.
- Calm your thoughts.
- Helps you relax.
- Makes you feel good.
Life can be tough sometimes I can’t deny that but it also has its good moments too. We should find joy in the little things. Go to the amusement park, go on a fun ride, go to the movies or a comedy show (hire a babysitter for the night to watch the kids) just do something fun every once in a while and make it a “thing” that you do for you. If you wish to share it with the whole family even better. 🙂
Life is too short for us to just go through the motions day after day. Don’t let life’s challenges keep you down. Free up a little, relax, create new memories and laugh every chance you get.
I dare you to laugh and not feel awkward about it. 🙂