Welcome back to Health and Wellness Fridays! Today we’re going to be looking at the health and wellness benefits of forgiveness.
What is forgiveness?
Forgiveness, is the action or process of verbally and emotionally releasing yourself or someone from a wrong that was committed. It compels us to ‘let go’ of what was and make a conscious decision to move forward.
Why is forgiveness important?
Let’s look at this from a biblical standpoint. Here are two verses that stress the importance of forgiveness:
- Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord has forgave you. (Colossians 3:13)
- For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive you your sins. (Matthew 6: 14-15)
What can unforgiveness lead to?
From personal experience, unforgiveness can eat you up from the inside out. It can also promote the following side effects:
- Feelings of anger and agitation especially whenever the guilty party is in your presence.
- Have you in a state of emotional bitterness.
- Leave you feeling upset with the world.
- Steals your joy and your ability to truly enjoy your life.
- Increase blood pressure.
- Increase stress levels.
- Puts a strain on your heart and mind.
- Shorten your life span. The constant stressing out and anger has the potential to trigger other aliments in your body which can make you sick.
Some benefits of forgiveness include:
- Better anger-management skills
- Lower your blood pressure
- Reduces stress levels
- Less anxiety symptoms
- Healthier relationships
- Reduction in chronic pain
- Fewer depression symptoms
- Boost your immune system
- Greater spiritual or religious well-being
- Gain a sense of peace and freedom that unforgiveness keeps you from achieving
- Possibly extend your life span
- Great for the heart
- Live a healthier and happier life
The truth is, the act that brought us to this place of unforgiveness was terrible and unfortunate. However, the place of existence that it keeps us in if we let it, is much worse.
The message today, is to start the healing process within yourself – no amount of veggie smoothies or lemon water can remove the bitterness trapped in our hearts. If true health and wellness is what you’re looking for – start from within that secret place.
Once you have done this difficult and yet so simple act, I believe your life will improve. Your health would improve along with the other areas of your life that unforgiveness has placed a barrier of progress on.
Thank you heavenly Father for Your forgiveness and mercy towards our transgressions against You and our fellow man. Thank you for loving us through our stubbornness and ignorance. Thank you that we have life today and another opportunity to make things right within ourselves, the person who may have hurt us and the persons whom we may have hurt along the way. I trust that as we choose to forgive and let go of ALL the hurt and pain that we held close to our hearts that we will see and feel Your healing touch in our mind, body and spirit. We receive this victory over unforgiveness. In Jesus name, amen!
Thank you for making this blog one of your stops on this journey called life.
Have a wonderful weekend.