Hello and welcome back to Health and Wellness Fridays!
Fridays, for many of us, signify the end of the work week and we just want to kick back and relax. This is normal, healthy and understandable. The hustle and bustle of everyday life can often leave us feeling exhausted and stressed out. However, even after working hard some of us have difficulty making and taking time for ourselves to truly rest and recuperate.
I will admit I’ve been guilt of this in the past. How many of us look forward to the weekend but then have anxiety step in because of all the thoughts in our minds of what must be done and the limited time we have to complete them? This often causes a love/ hate relationship with the weekend for many.
So we take a deep breath and try to enjoy whatever little ‘me’ time we can get at the end of it all. Unfortunately, sleep time does not count but it is essential for the body and mind. Before we know it, the weekend is over and it is back to work. We start our new work week not completely rested but push through anyway because we have to.
Eventually, I came to this realization, ‘all of this constant running around week after week is physically and mentally draining you. This current pattern leaves you with just enough time for the basics of life – to eat and sleep. Where is the joy and the fun? You better slow down, before you go down.’
Talk about a revelation. I had to sit down and really review my life especially the recreational aspect of it. Why? It was non-existent.
This new pattern of behaviour is what my self-talk eventually resulted it.
- Starting my day with prayer and worship music. I have found that talking to God first thing each morning helps sets the tone for the day. I feel at peace and I’m more relaxed.
- Making sure to start my day with a healthy and nourishing breakfast. I found that skipping meals not only affected my mood but also caused me to make unwise food decisions later in the day that only made me feeling guilty afterward.
- Make doing something or going somewhere fun a mandatory experience on the weekend. Indoors or outdoors it does not matter once I’m enjoying it and have the kids participate.
- I started doing more of my chores like (washing and cleaning) during the week and this freed up my weekend and my mind from those chores.
- Creating a period within the day where I have at least 45 minutes to an hour for myself where I do nothing but relax. Sit down and read a chapter or two, catch up my reading of blogs or listening to music. Whatever you decide but no work and no stressing out. If you have kids make sure they are properly supervised first and just take this time to clear your mind and rest your body.
This new routine I have implemented in my life has honestly given me a sense of clarity, joy and peace that my life was lacking before. If you are, like I used to be, then I suggest you slow down before you go down.
You have to create the time for YOU. That is the only way you would be able to truly relax and unwind. I didn’t know what to do with my time to tell you the truth when I got it but I have learnt to create moments of happiness whenever and wherever I can.
I look forward to the weekend now because I have a different attitude, approach and perspective. I’m no longer letting my weekend dictate what I do but instead I determine where and what I would like to do with my time and schedule life around that. That way I’m not just existing within my life but actually living it.
However, you choose to spend your weekends try to ensure you get time to enjoy what YOU love.
Thank you for making this blog one of your stops on this journey called life.
Make this weekend a great one. 🙂