Are there people in this life who go out of their way to provoke others into behaving or saying things they would not normally do or say?
Although they are probably far and few, there are people out there like that. It seems to me, they almost take pleasure in seeing others breakdown because in some weird way that makes them feel better about themselves.
How twisted and messed up is that?
People who are consistently negative and hurtful in their interactions with others are people who themselves are hurting emotionally. Unfortunately, for the rest of us, they don’t know or rather have not found a healthy way of dealing with the real issues that make them feel and behave the way they do.
I am in NO way making excuses for anyone who chooses to be hurtful to others. That type of behaviour is unacceptable and should not be tolerated as such here are some things I tell myself when I meet negative people.
Remind YOURSELF of the following:
- Your greatest strength is not in becoming obscene or violent with the person but rather maintaining your composure and removing yourself from their presence.
- Their words have only the power YOU give to them.
- If I match their negative behaviour with an equal negative response would things get better or worse? Matching negativity with negativity would only make things escalate.
- You are BETTER than the negative labels they may try to associate you with.
- If their life was so perfect they would not be making time and using energy to focus on trying to break you down. You know the saying “misery needs company.” Don’t join their club!
- Tune out the noise and remove yourself from the environment. Sitting there and listening to their rambling is doing you more damage than you think especially if this is a regular practice.
- Some people recommend being very nice to them. I think this approach is based on the situation, relationship and history of the people involved. There are some instances where a complete severe in ties and communication is necessary.
- Don’t forget to take slow, deep breaths! It probably sounds really obvious now but when you meet someone who really strikes a NERVE you’ll thank me later. 😉
Ultimately, enduring constant negativity of any type over a period of time can negatively impact your life in some way, shape or form. There are things in life we have no control over and then there are things that are within our control.
You can choose what type of interactions and relationships YOU WANT in your life!
Do you have any tips or care to share any of your methods of dealing with negative people? Feel free to share in comments below.
Thanks for stopping by.