‘Living’ versus ‘existing’, is there a difference? Is it important? How does this apply to my life? First, let me say that, there is a difference. Yes, it is important, only if happiness is something you want for your life. As for how it applies to your life, you would have to read on to find out.
Living for me, goes beyond the typical definition that is, “possessing or exhibiting life”. It is taking the life you have and making the best and most use of it. When you are living you are constantly moving, improving and learning. Existing on the other hand, means “having existence or being or actuality”. My version, just sustaining life. We do this when we go through our daily routines day after day with no real drive or sense of purpose other than to get through the day and hopefully not die while we do it. Our lives should be so much more than that.
Here are my Top 12 Signs you are ‘Living’ and not just ‘Existing’.
- You make time to treat yourself ever so often rather than list excuses as to why you should not.
- You make time to do fun things with your family and friends. It is not just about work, work, work.
- You do not allow the challenges that life brings your way to keep you down or depressed.
- You are always seeking knowledge and wisdom in various areas of your life.
- You are willing to explore new things and places. Start small by doing simple things example, try new foods, go to a dance class whatever excites you.
- You are resourceful at solving difficult situations. You are not afraid to go after what you want. You do not allow the word “No” to discourage you instead you use it as a motivator to find a solution.
- You do not let negativity of any form keep you from enjoying your life. You know that life is too short to waste it on negative thinking or negative people.
- You strive to be positive and not negative. You choose to enjoy the good moments; learn from the bad and move forward.
- You recognize that you don’t exist in this world by yourself and thus you try to help others less fortunate than yourself whenever you can.
- You recognize and accept that no one is perfect.
- Your focus is on striving to be your best self and living your best life.
- You do not leave your happiness to chance. You recognize that true happiness comes from within and thus do not depend on others to make you happy.
Living versus existing is therefore a state of mind. Someone who is ‘living‘ makes the decision to do more with the life they have and often push themselves to do more because they expect more. Whereas a person who is ‘existing’ often chooses not to “rock the boat” opting to do no more than they have to as they go through the motions of their daily life.
Ask yourself, am I existing or living? What is more important though is, what are you going to do about it?