We all have moments in our lives when negative things happen that sometimes force us to ask questions like:
- “What is the point?”
- “Why do I even bother?”
- “How could this happen?”
- “Why is nothing I do ever good enough?”
- “Why me Lord?”
At these moments in life, we often feel at our lowest because in those moments it seems like nothing is going our way. As if the universe decided you know what, “I’m going to turn his or her life upside down and see what happens!”
I’m here to tell you, you are not alone! We all have our moments of frustration, depression, anger, sadness and loneliness that for each of us is a difficult period in our lives. Yes, granted our circumstances themselves may vary but does that take away the emotional discomfort we all feel about our situations.
So what do we do when we feel to give up? Let’s first take a look at what we should not do.
- Give up.
- Hold onto the negative thoughts
- Take out our frustrations on others
- Accept that this is how life is going to be
Now that we’ve seen how we are not going to act going forward. Let’s look at our situations with fresh eyes. The first and most valuable message I can give you is:
- DON’T EVER GIVE UP! No matter how bad you’re feeling or how bad things may appear. Fight that defeatist feeling and instead choose to persevere.
- Ask yourself, “Why am I feeling this way?” By first determining the cause of your emotional discomfort, you would be better able to treat with your feelings. I have often found that until I could pinpoint the cause of my upset – I remain stuck in my feelings for a longer time. So if you want to feel better, you need to identify the cause.
- Ask yourself, “Is this a situation within my control or outside it?” This is very important, too often we beat ourselves up over things we really have NO control over in particular other people’s actions and decisions.
- REFUSE to stay stuck in your negative feelings.
- CHOOSE to be happy and actively pursue it. There is always something positive in your life that you can smile about. All is not lost, you will overcome this!
- Do not transfer your negativity. Easier said than done, I know. Take control of your emotions, do not let them take control of you.
- Talk about it with someone you trust and respect. Keeping it bottled up inside is not healthy.
- Pray about it. Ask for God for guidance and clarity.
I understand that in the moment we feel how we feel and I respect that because I feel like crap too when I’m in that zone. However, I try to find the cause; determine if I can or cannot fix it; fix what I can and accept what I can’t. I choose not to remain stuck in the negative emotion. I choose to feel better and YOU CAN TOO!