Welcome back! I trust that your Christmas celebrations went well. We’ve all opened our gifts, shared a few laughs and got a little time to hopefully reflect on how truly blessed we’ve been in 2017.
As you all know, the approach of the New Year 2018 draws nearer and nearer with each day and this is typically the time when we make ‘promises’ to ourselves and sometimes others about what we’re doing to do differently and what we’re hoping to change.
I propose that we take a different approach to this age-old practice and instead of making promises aka resolutions let’s make some proactive decisions. The truth is a promise provides mental comfort but proactive decision-making can provide actual results.
So how are we going to do this? Let’s take a look.
- For starters, let’s not set unrealistic expectations. It’s not fair to ourselves when we set unrealistic expectations. Do yourself a favour PUSH yourself but don’t BREAK yourself.
- List the areas of our lives we want to improve on be it our health, finances, relationships, jobs, etc.
- Make a plan for each area that actively treats with the areas of our lives we want to see blossom or transform. List step by step how we will go about this transformation. Example, for health a plan we may consider reviewing our eating habits, getting active through exercise or starting a sport, getting a medical checkup. This may require doing some research and implementing real change in how we currently care for our bodies.
- We have to be willing to do the work to get the results we want. Change is never easy but it is often necessary for us to improve and foster greater happiness in our lives.
- Be your own cheerleader. Don’t rely solely on the support of others for your success. You have to want to succeed for yourself. It is this burning desire that will push you to succeed even when things around you change.
- Stick with the plan. We may get distracted from time to time and may even fall off the wagon completely. Don’t waste time feeling guilty. Make a decision from now not a promise that YOU WILL not accept failure this time. YOU WILL get back on track and make things right not because of a promise you made but rather because YOU ARE worth it!
- Distance yourself from negativity – that includes negative people and negative thinking. These are some common elements to failure. Negativity is not cheering for our success the sooner we can see that and take corrective action our lives can turn around for the better.
- Be flexible. We must be willing to adapt to whatever change may occur. We may meet and exceed our goal likewise we may have to alter or modify certain aspects of it to get the best outcome. Be open-minded about the process. Nothing is set in stone. The only unbreakable aspect of this must be our determination to see this through. 🙂
- Believe in yourself and your ability to do this.
- Don’t allow your fears to keep you stuck in the past. In 2018, take those fears and use them as fuel for your success.
- Acknowledge your achievements no matter how small and reward yourself for a job well done.
- Lastly, never give up! For when we do, we truly fail.
A special thank you to each of you who read and support my blog. May 2018 bring us fresh ideas, clarity of mind and spirit, prosperity, joy, love, good health and happiness. May wisdom and understanding never be a stranger in our lives.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful week and bright New Year! 🙂