Health and Wellness Fridays – Eggs

Good day to you all on this wonderful Friday afternoon. 🙂  I hope your day is off to a great start.  Ideally, you would have had breakfast already which may or may not have included our hot topic today – eggs!  Eggs are not only nutritious but they are also a cost-effective and versatile food.

Nutritional Profile

Eggs are an excellent source of choline. They are also a very good source of selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, biotin, molybdenum and iodine. They also contain vitamin B5, protein, phosphorus, vitamin D and vitamin A, amino acids and many other nutrients.  Eggs are not just a tasty treat but a food rich in nutrients.

Did you know?

The top egg producing countries in the world are China, USA, India, Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, France and Germany according to

Some benefits of eating eggs include:

  1. Reduce the risk of heart disease
  2. Rich in Antioxidants
  3. Increase HDL (good) cholesterol
  4. Support good vision and eye health
  5. Aid in weight loss
  6. Maintain liver function
  7. Reduce blood pressure
  8. Reduce risk of type 2 diabetes
  9. Support brain health
  10. Keep skin healthy
  11. Strengthen muscles
  12. Support healthy immune system
  13. Produce energy
  14. Reduce the risk of breast cancer
  15. Support bone health
  16. Low in calories

Eggs are truly an amazing food and we have a lot to gain from adding them to our diet.  Those of you who have read my seven facts would know  that I am not a fan of eggs.  Over the years however, I have learnt how to include them in my meals so that I don’t lose out from all the benefits to be gained from eating them.

Some frequently asked questions:

  1. Which is better white or brown eggs?

The colour of the egg is determined by the breed of the chicken.  There is no nutritional difference between brown and white eggs.  However, it should be noted that a hen’s diet and environment can affect an egg’s nutrition.

Some people prefer the taste of brown eggs while others insists that white eggs taste better.  The major difference between white and brown eggs are their prices.  All in all,  I think it just comes down to personal preference.  You determine for yourself what you prefer because they are both good for you. 🙂

2. Which part of the egg is healthier the whole egg, the egg yolk or the egg white?

The thing is, the whole egg is rich in important vitamins, minerals and other key nutrients so should you decide to throw away one or the other you would be losing some of the nutrients.

The white of a large egg has 60% of the egg’s total protein with the remaining 40% found in the yolk. There are beneficial nutrients found in the yolk that you would not find in the egg white such as omega-3 fats, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin E and carotenoids.

Unless, you’re preparing a recipe that is specific about using egg yolk or egg white you should try to use the whole egg.

Some possible dangers to be aware of include:

Cholesterol – some believe that because the egg yolk has large amounts of cholesterol that it is bad because cholesterol is associated with causing heart disease.  The reality is saturated fats and trans fat are the real culprits behind elevated cholesterol levels.   If you are however, someone who suffers with high cholesterol it is recommended that you avoid the egg yolk.

Bacteria – in particular, salmonella poisoning is a very real threat.  Try an  avoid eating raw or under cooked eggs. Bacteria can enter the egg through pores in the shells.  There is more risk associated with soft cooked and “sunny side up” eggs than eggs that have been hard-boiled, scrambled, or poached.

Allergy – according to the Egg Nutrition Center , an average of two percent of the population under age five is allergic to eggs.  However, some studies suggest that most of the children seem to outgrow their egg allergy by late childhood.

Handling of eggs – any surfaces that might have potentially come into contact with raw egg should be sanitized with a solution of 1 teaspoon chlorine to 1 quart water.

Storage and cooking – avoid eggs that are cracked and have past their expiration date.

In conclusion, eggs are a good source for a variety of nutrients that benefit the body in more ways than one.  Do your research, ask questions, discuss with your healthcare provider if you have any concerns.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great weekend!