Stubbornness is an unwillingness to change one’s attitude or position on something, even when the alternative is better.
Is there an upside to stubbornness? Not really but then again it depends on who you ask and where you fall in the equation. Let’s take a look.
UPSIDE to STUBBORNNESS:
- You get to stay exactly as you ARE because you already KNOW the answers to everything.
- You automatically ‘win’ every disagreement because no one with a true understanding of the situation would expel much energy or effort trying to convince you otherwise.
- You don’t have to accept change. Your way is the best way and there is nobody out there that can tell you different.
DOWNSIDE to STUBBORNNESS:
- Limits your growth not only in knowledge but also experiences.
- Makes accepting and implementing change difficult because you’re so stuck in your own ways.
- People tend to avoid any meaningful exchanges with you because they don’t want to end up in an argument.
- Blocks and limits understanding because of your unwillingness to show understanding towards others.
- Hinders progress not only for yourself but others especially if you are in a position of power.
- It is a selfish way of interacting with the world around you.
There will always be someone out there with a different perspective, new ideas and concepts that challenge or may even improve our current way of doings things. We don’t have to like or agree with everything that is shared with us but we should at least respect the fact that a contribution is being made and do the right thing and that is – to genuinely hear them out.
Open-mindedness should not be what we expect of others when it comes to our beliefs and opinions especially when we ourselves may be closed-minded to what others have to say.
Stubbornness that blocks and disregards the opinions, thoughts and feelings of others is a building block to nowhere.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day!